(In your own words, summarize passages into sentences. Goal of 12 – 15 sentences)
1. Genesis 50:1 – 3 Joseph wept over his father, then directed the Egyptian physicians in his service to embalm which they did, taking a full forty days, for that was the time required for embalming, and the Egyptians mourned for him seventy days.
2. Genesis 50:4 – 6 When the days of mourning had passed, Joseph said to Pharaoh’s court, speak to Pharaoh for me and tell him, ‘My father made me swear an oath and said, “I am about to die; bury me in the tomb I dug for myself in the land of Canaan.” So now let me go up and bury my father; then I will return.’” To which Pharaoh replied, “Go up and bury your father, as he made you swear to do.”
3. Genesis 50:7 – 9 So Joseph went up to bury his father and all Pharaoh’s officials(dignitaries of his court and all the dignitaries of Egypt) accompanied him as well as all the members of Joseph’s household including his brothers and those belonging to his father’s household with only their children and their flocks and herds were left in Goshen.
4. Genesis 50:10 – 11 When they reached the threshing floor of Atad, near the Jordan, they lamented loudly and bitterly; and there Joseph observed a seven-day period of mourning for his father, and when the Canaanites who lived there saw the mourning at the threshing floor of Atad, they said, “The Egyptians are holding a solemn ceremony of mourning.” hence that place near the Jordan is called Abel Mizraim.
5. Genesis 50:12 – 14 So Jacob’s sons did as he had commanded them: burying him in the cave in the field of Machpelah, which Abraham had bought along with the field as a burial place from Ephron the Hittite, and after burying his father, Joseph returned to Egypt, together with his brothers and all the others who had gone with him to bury his father.
6. Genesis 50:15 – 17 When Joseph’s brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, “What if Joseph holds a grudge against us and pays us back for all the wrongs we did to him?” and so they sent word to Joseph, saying, “Your father left these instructions before he died: ‘This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.’ Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father.” And when their message came to him, Joseph wept.
7. Genesis 50:18 – 21 Joseph’s brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. “We are your slaves,” to which Joseph replied, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives, so then, don’t be afraid for I will provide for you and your children.” and he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.
8. Genesis 50:22 – 23 Joseph stayed in Egypt, along with all his father’s family and lived to be a hundred and ten years old and saw the third generation of Ephraim’s children, as well as the children of Makir son of Manasseh were placed at birth on Joseph’s knees.
9. Genesis 50:24 – 24 Then Joseph said to his brothers, “I am about to die. But God will surely come to your aid and take you up out of this land to the land he promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.”
10. Genesis 50:25 – 25 And Joseph made the Israelites swear an oath and said, “God will surely come to your aid, and then you must carry my bones up from this place.”
11. Genesis 50:26 So Joseph died at the age of a hundred and ten and after they embalmed him, he was placed in a coffin in Egypt.
(Summarize main groupings of thoughts. Goal of 2, 3 or 4 divisions. ID passages covered)
1. Genesis 50:1 – 14 Jacob is buried in Canaan with great honors and mourning.
Application: Do people see you as faithful to God’s promises that they will carry on after you?
2. Genesis 50:15 – 21 Joseph comforts and assures his brothers that there will be no retribution.
Application: How are you judging others, when as Joseph said “I am not God.”?
3. Genesis 50:22 – 21 The death of Joseph in Egypt.
Application: Are you passing God’s promises on to another generation of the faithful?
Subject Sentence (Summarizing the Divisions into one sentence – ten words or less):
Jacob in buried; the brothers are comforted; Joseph dies
(A main teaching point for the overall study of the passages):
TCTATS: To cause the audience to see that Joseph died looking forward to God’s unfolding plan of redemption; and eternal, loving, wise plan.