MEMORY VERSE: “Jesus said to them, ‘Have you never read in the Scriptures: “The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes”?’ ” - Matthew 21:42 (NIV84)
Content Sentences (10 – 15 summary sentences)
1. Matthew 24:1 – 2 As Jesus left the temple he spoke to his disciples, pointing to the temple buildings, “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; everyone will be thrown down.”
2. Matthew 24:3 – 3 While sitting on the Mount of Olives, Jesus’ disciples asked about the end of the temple, presumably end of the age and Jesus return.
3. Matthew 4 - 8 Jesus warned that there will be deceivers who will be false messiahs, wars and rumors of wars, nations will rise against each other and there will be famines, earthquakes which will signal as birth pains the end of the age.
4. Matthew 24:9 – 14 Jesus followers will be persecuted, hated even put to death and that many will turn away from the faith by false prophets who deceive, and that love will even grow cold, but stand firm to the end and you will be saved for the gospel will be preached in the whole world as a testimony and then the end will come.
5. Matthew 24:15 – 21 Jesus then speaks cryptically that “the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel will be seen in the holy place; then everyone should flee in haste, not taking anything with them for there will be great unequalled distress in the land.
6. Matthew 24:22 – 22 Jesus speaks his warning that for the sake of the elect (believers) the days grow short, and beware of deceivers and do not believe those who say such things as ‘There is the Messiah’ for ‘For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.’
7. Matthew 24:28 – 29 Jesus then quotes old testament that distress such as the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’
8. Matthew 24:30 – 31 Jesus explains that “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory, and he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.”
9. Matthew 24:32 – 35 Jesus say to learn from the fig tree and know that this generation will not pass away until all these things happen and even if Heaven and earth pass away, the words of the Lord will live on forever.
10. Matthew 24:36 – 41 Jesus declares that only the Father in heaven knows the hour and day when judgment will come and the Son of Man return; just as in the days of Noah before the flood, people will be clueless and many taken.
11. Matthew 24:42 – 44 Therefore keep watch because we do not know when the Lord will come, just as the owner of the house, had he know that the thief was coming would have stood diligent and kept watch, so must we be ready for the return of the Son of Man.
12. Matthew 24:45 – 47 Who then is the faithful servant of God, whom the master put in charge and who executes his duties as expected for he will be put in charge of his master’s possessions when he returns.
13. Matthew 24:48 – 51 Jesus finishes with a warning that the servant who does not do his proper duty will be cut down and assign him a place with the hypocrites where there will be anguish.
Divisions (major divisions of the passage: 2 – 4)
Matthew 24:1 - 3 The temple will be destroyed and disciples ask about the meaning of such and ask about a sign of his return.
Application: Are you still seeking Jesus, even in this age of affluence?
Matthew 24:4 – 14 Jesus describes coming history until he returns and warns of false messiahs.
Application: Are you on guard against false teacher, messiahs and prophets?
Matthew 24:15 – 35 Jesus describes signs of his coming and the end of the age, tribulation and that ‘this generation’ will not pass away, but God’s word endures forever.
Application: Are you holding on to God’s enduring word and not things of this world?
Matthew 24:36 – 51 Jesus states that only the Father knows when the return will be, and describes his return through parable of the two’s: two men in field, two women grinding, the evil servant and the faithful servant so earnestly be prepared.
Application: Are you prepared for the master’s return as a faithful servant, fulfilling your duty?
Subject Sentence (ten words or less)
Jesus describes history, gives warning and encourages followers until return.
AIM (One principle teaching point from the passage)
To cause the audience to see (TCTATS) that we are to live in expectation and be prepared for the coming return of our master Lord Jesus.