(In your own words, summarize passages into sentences. Goal of 12 – 15 sentences)
1. Genesis 4:1 – 2 Eve became pregnant by Adam giving birth first to a son Cain (who grew up to work the soil) and sometime later to another son, Abel, who grew up to tend to flocks.
2. Genesis 4:3 – 5 Over the course of time, Cain brought an offering to the Lord of some of the fruits of the soil, and Abel also brought an offering, fat portions of the firstborn of his flock which the Lord looked on with favor vs. Cain’s offering which God did not causing Cain to become very angry and his face downcast.
3. Genesis 4:6 – 7 The Lord said to Cain, chastening him, “Why so angry and face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not that which is right, sin is at your door, and you must rule over sin.”
4. Genesis 4:8 – 9 Cain said to Abel “Let’s go to out to the field.” When there Cain attacked and slew Abel to which the Lord asked (knowing what had happened “Where’s Abel?” to which Cain lied in reply “I don’t know, Am I my brother’s keeper?”
5. Genesis 4:10 – 12 The Lord said “What have you done? Your brother’s blood cries out, and you are now cursed and driven from the ground and while you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you and you will be a restless wanderer on the earth.
6. Genesis 4:13 – 16 Cain said to the Lord “My punishment is more than I can bear to be driven from the land to wander the earth and whoever finds me will kill me to which the Lord said that no one would kill him giving him a mark. So Cain went out from the Lord’s presence and lived in the land of Nod which was east of Eden.
7. Genesis 4:17 – 17 After some period of time, Cain married and his wife gave birth to Enoch and named a city after him, a city that Cain was building.
8. Genesis 4:18 – 22 Cain’s lineage after Enoch was this:
· Irad, fathered:
o Mehujael fathered:
§ Methushael fathered:
· Lamech (married two women):
o Married Adah who birthed:
§ Jabal, father of those living in tents and raise livestock.
§ Jubal, father of all who play stringed instruments and pipes
o Married Zillah who birthed:
§ Tubal-Cain, son, who forged tools of bronze and iron
§ Naamah, daughter
9. Genesis 4:23 – 24 Lamech said to his wives that he had killed a man for wounding and injuring him, lamenting that if Cain is avenged 7 times, then Lamech will be 77 times.
(Summarize main groupings of thoughts. Goal of 2, 3 or 4 divisions. ID passages covered)
1. Genesis 4:1 – 5 God wants to bless those who honor him and He seeks reconciliation with those who will repent.
Application: What sin(s) are you doing that you think are hidden from God?
2. Genesis 4:6 - 16 God confronts sin judging fairly.
Application: Is anything keeping you from having a repentant heart?
3. Genesis 4:17 – 24 God allows the ungodly to go their own way, but still desires relationship with them.
Application: Do you know someone who needs Jesus but may not know how to approach God?
(Summarizing the Divisions into one sentence – ten words or less):
Sin always has consequences, yet God seeks reconciliation through Christ.
(A main teaching point for the overall study of the passages):
To cause the audience to see that the consequences of sin are long lasting, yet God provides a way for repentance with Him.