(In your own words, summarize passages into sentences. Goal of 12 – 15 sentences)
1. v1 - 2 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see allowing us to understand the universe formed by God.
2. v3 –6 By faith believers will be commended for their righteousness, pleasing God and knowing that God exists will be rewarded as they seek Him.
3. v7 – 12 By faith in things to come and not yet seen, believers such as Noah with a holy fear and trusting obedience will be saved, strengthened and in Abraham and Sarah’s case by made a mighty nation.
4. v13 – 19 People who live by faith, trusting in God may not see the things promised by God in their lifetimes, but trusting in Him will still be blessed and live a better life than those without faith.
5. v20 – 28 By faith God’s people will bless others such as Isaac did to his sons, Jacob did to Joseph’s sons, Moses’ parents did to Moses (and subsequently all God’s people).
6. v29 – 40 By faith God’s people will be blessed in their obedience to God’s instructions, even when it seems we grumble or make deals. If we are in God’s will, are obedient and believe, we have nothing to fear knowing that God has plan superior to what we can conceive.
7. v1 – 3 Run your life in God’s hands giving up all that keeps living by faith and serving God focusing on Christ the author and perfecter of our faith, who endured the cross in obedience to the Father for me.
8. v4 – 6 Do not forget God’s words of encouragement and examples which will strengthen your faith.
9. v7 - 11. Even though you may have to endure God’s discipline, as His children it is in our best interests and to submit to His the discipline and training as it will make us stronger and produce a harvest of righteousness and peace.
10. v12 – 17 Strengthen yourselves to be presentable and useful to God’s plan to heal a broken people, living in peace, keeping others from stumbling, and encouraging all to come to God.
11. v18 – 28 Do not be afraid of approaching God in your sin, but come worshiping with repentance to Christ who is our mediator of the new covenant and be doing so we will receive a kingdom that is unshakable.
12. v1 – 3 Keep loving one another showing hospitality to strangers, remembering those in prison and those who persecute you.
13. v4 – 5 Keep God’s instruction toward sexual purity honoring marriage as well as the love of money being content with what God has blessed you with.
14. v6 – 8 Remember that is our helper; remember our leaders as examples of Christ imitating their faith as they follow Christ.
15. v9 – 16 Be strengthened by God’s grace as we have a high priest in Jesus who suffered and died for us, continually offering a sacrifice of praise to Him, doing good and sharing with others.
16. v17 – 19 Submit to the leadership and authority of the church who must give account to God for their work, and live righteously that we will have a clear conscience before God.
17. v20 – 25 And may the God of peace equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever.
(Summarize main groupings of thoughts. Goal of 2, 3 or 4 divisions. ID passages covered)
I. Faith in action is defined by God.
Application: What is holding you back from having faith in God?
Application: What steps can you start with today to increase your faith?
II. God’s discipline and training makes us useful to run God’s race.
Application: How is your focus on self keeping you from embracing God’s training plan for your life?
Application: How might Christ’s example of obedience encourage you to be obedient to Christ’s calling in your life ?
III. Final reminders on how and why we are part of God’s plan.
Application: What instruction from God is the hardest for you to keep? And why?
Application: How will you support your pastor or church leader this week that is different from how you have treated them before?
(Summarizing the Divisions into one sentence):
Faith with God’s training prepares us to run His race. (10 words)
(A main teaching point for the overall study of the passages):
To cause the audience to see that:
A life under God’s training and discipline leads to a wonderfully and righteous life doing His will.