Content(In your own words, summarize passages into sentences. Goal of 12 – 15 sentences)
1. Matthew 7: 1 - 6 Do not judge, or you too will be judged, for in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.2. Matthew 7: 7 – 8 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened.
3. Matthew 7:9 – 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
4. Matthew 7:13 - 14 “Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it, but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
5. Matthew 7:15 - 20 Watch out for false prophets; By their fruit you will recognize them.
6. Matthew 7:21 – 23 Only those who do the will of the Father will enter heaven; not false disciples.
7. Matthew 7:24 – 27 He who hears and obeys Christ’s words is like the man who built his house on a foundation on the rock (who is Jesus), whose house will stand amidst trials and storms unlike the foolish man who does not heed Christ’s commands who is like a man who builds his house on the sand, who will not stand in the day of trial.
8. Matthew 7:28 – 29 The crowds were amazed because Jesus taught with true Godly authority, not as their teachers of the law did.
Divisions(Summarize main groupings of thoughts. Goal of 2, 3 or 4 divisions; ID passages covered)
1. Matthew 7:1 – 6 Jesus teaches on judgment and discernment.
Application: How secret is secret? Is it the law or merely guidelines to experiencing God’s blessing?
2. Matthew 7:7 – 12 Jesus teaches more on prayer giving a pattern to follow: Ask, Seek & Knock, and the giving nature of God.
Application: Which of these is holding you back from experiencing God’s best for you?
3. Matthew 7:13 - 23 The God standard: Jesus teaches on living by faith so we need not live worried or have anxiety.
Application: How is worry holding you back?
4. Matthew 7:24 – 29 Faith in Christ and obedience to Christ allows us to build our lives on Jesus as a strong foundation against the storms of life.
Application: When storms come, is your life built Christ the solid foundation?
Subject Sentence(Summarizing the Divisions into one sentence – ten words or less):
Lives built on Christ yields discernment, and answered prayer life.
Aim(A main teaching point for the overall study of the passages):
TCTATS: To cause the audience to focus on Christ’s teaching on pray and to always and continually and with perseverance to ask, seek and knock.