Content(In your own words, summarize passages into sentences. Goal of 12 – 15 sentences)
Matthew 5:17 - 48
1. Matthew 5: 17 – 18 Christ declares that he has come to fulfill the whole law not abolish it.2. Matthew 5:19 – 20 Anyone who sets aside part of the Law will be considered least in the kingdom, and whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven so unless your righteousness is true you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
3. Matthew 5:21 – 24 Christ declares that murder, even anger toward a bro or sister will be subject to judgment, so reconcile yourself to those before coming to the throne of Jesus.
4. Matthew 5:25 – 26 Settle legal matters quickly with those who legal issues with you.
5. Matthew 5:27 – 28 Christ declares that our attitude toward lust is a heart issue comparable to the sin of adultery.
6. Matthew 5:29 – 30 Christ teaches us through figure of speech to guard our heart through the power of the Word and Holy Spirit to keep us pure.
7. Matthew 5:31 – 32 Christ explains that though the Law toward divorce stands, he explains that divorce on grounds other than for sexual immorality makes the wife an victim of adultery.
8. Matthew 5:33 – 37 Keep your oath; a simple ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ will do; just do what you say you’ll do.
9. Matthew 5:38 – 42 On ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth’ (Exodus 21:24) Christ teaches us to resist the temptation to resent insult and seek retaliation for slight.
10. Matthew 5:43 – 48 Jesus tell us that all of mankind is made by God and should be considered our neighbors and as such love them.
Divisions(Summarize main groupings of thoughts. Goal of 2, 3 or 4 divisions. ID passages covered)
1. Matthew 5:17 – 20 Jesus’ and disciples’ relationship to the Law and righteousness.
Application: Which of the Old Testament Law do you need the Holy Spirit’s help with?
2. Matthew 5:21 – 48 Jesus teaches with authority on the true interpretation of the law.
Application: Which of these laws do you have trouble following?
Subject Sentence(Summarizing the Divisions into one sentence – ten words or less):
Jesus teaches on the Law in its true meanings.
(A main teaching point for the overall study of the passages):
TCTATS: To cause the audience to understand Christ’s teaching on Old Testament law and the attitude of our hearts in relation to them.