(In your own words, summarize passages into sentences. Goal of 12 – 15 sentences)
1. Genesis 25:19 – 28 Isaac prays on behalf of Rebekah, who is childless, who then God blesses with twins whom the Lord declares will become two great nations, one stronger, and the elder will serve the younger; the elder is Esau and Jacob the younger.
2. Genesis 25:29 – 34 Once, Jacob was cooking when Esau came in from the fields and pleaded with Jacob to give him some, to which Jacob replied “First sell me your birthright.” And Esau swore to sell Jacob his birthright as first born; so Esau despised his birthright.
3. Genesis 26:1 – 6 When a famine comes to the land of Isaac, he turned to Abimelek, king of the Philistines, but the Lord appeared to Isaac saying, “Do not go down to Egypt; live in the land where I tell you to live, and I will be with you and will bless you, because Abraham obeyed me and did everything I required of him, keeping my commands, my decrees and my instructions.” So Isaac stayed put.
4. Genesis 26:7 – 7 Making the same mistake as his Dad, when men approached Isaac about his wife, he lied and said, “She is my sister,” because he was afraid to say, “She is my wife.” He thought, “The men of this place might kill me on account of Rebekah, because she is beautiful.”
5. Genesis 26:8 – 11 Sometime later Abimelek, sees Isaac with Rebekah and confronts Isaac saying “She’s your wife, isn’t she?” What if some man had slept with her bringing shame and ruin on Abimelek’s kingdom so he declares that no one should harm Isaac and Rebekah.
6. Genesis 26:12 – 16 That same year, Isaac plants and reaps a hundredfold because the Lord blessed him, so he became very wealthy with so many flocks, herds and servants that the Philistines envied him and to ‘punish Isaac filled many wells with earth; even Abimelek saying Move from us because you are far too powerful.
7. Genesis 26:17 – 22 Isaac moved with his household to the Valley of Gerar, reopened the wells, and his servants dug wells of fresh water there causing the herders of Gerar to quarrel with Isaac and he gave the wells to them, moved on and dug more until no one disputed with him that the wells were his and he named them Rehoboth saying: “Now the Lord has given us room and we will flourish in the land.”
8. Genesis 26:23 – 25 Then they went to Beersheba where the Lord appeared to Isaac saying, “I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bless you and will increase the number of your descendants for the sake of my servant Abraham.” And Isaac built an alter there and called on the name of the Lord, and, dug a well.
9. Genesis 26:26 – 33 Abimelek traveled to see Isaac declaring that he saw that God blessed Isaac, and proposes a treaty to which all swear to, Isaac gives a feast then send them away in peace and that day his servants told Isaac about a well they had dug which he named it Shibah.
10. Genesis 26:34- 35 When Esau was forty years old, he married Judith daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and also Basemath daughter of Elon the Hittite and they were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebekah.
11. Genesis 27:1 – 10 When Isaac was old he called on Esau to hunt game and prepare it the way Isaac likes it, and Rebekah, overhearing the conversation, begins to scheme on getting Isaac’s blessing for Jacob, so encourages Jacob to go to the family flock and bring her young goats to cook for Isaac the Isaac will give his blessing to Jacob and not Esau.
12. Genesis 27:11 – 13 Jacob questions the tactic of fooling Isaac because he and his brother feel different, and their father would know the difference, and, Jacob does not want to receive a curse for the deception, to which Rebekah says don’t worry, let the curse fall on me… do what I say.”
13. Genesis 27:14 – 24 So the deceit went down as designed with Jacob wearing his brother’s clothes, and masking his smooth skin covering hands and neck with goatskin, took the food to Isaac, lied to him, even let his father touch him, and Isaac even commented on Jacob’s voice not being Esau’s, and lied again when asked directly if Jacob was Esau.
14. Genesis 27:25 – 29 Isaac asked Esau (Jacob) for the food, and to kiss him, smelled Esau’s clothes and believed and blessed Esau (Jacob).
15. Genesis 27:30 – 34 The actual Esau then returned from hunting, prepared the food and presented it to Isaac, his father, who questioned who it was then realized that it was Jacob who had deceived him to which Esau cried out, “Bless me too, my father!”
16. Genesis 27:35 – 41 Isaac said that Jacob had been deceitful and taken Esau’s blessing which Esau now recognized that Jacob had taken both his birthright and now his blessing to which Isaac replied that he had made Jacob lord over Esau and the household to which Esau now held a grudge to the point of stating that as soon as Isaac was dead, he (Esau) would kill Jacob.
17. Genesis 27:42 – 46 Rebekah then sent Jacob, in obedience to Isaac, to her brother Laban home for protection, covering her tracks with Isaac by saying that Jacob should not marry a Canaanite / Hittite woman.
18. Genesis 28:1 - 7 So Isaac called for Jacob, blessed him, and sent him to Paddan Aram, to Laban’s home to find a wife from among Laban’s family, and so he went.
19. Genesis 28:8 – 9 When Esau learned of all this and how the Canaanite women displeased his dad Isaac, he went to uncle Ishmael and married Mahalath, the sister of Nebaioth and daughter of Ishmael son of Abraham, in addition to the wives he already had.
(Summarize main groupings of thoughts. Goal of 2, 3 or 4 divisions. ID passages covered)
1. Genesis 25:19 – 34 Isaac and Rebekah have two sons, Esau and Jacob, with Esau selling his birthright to Jacob.
Application: Are you trusting God with your birthright or are you taking matters into your own hands?
2. Genesis 26:1 – 33 Isaac sins like Abraham, repeating Abraham’s mistakes, yet gains great wealth under favor from God.
Application: How are you learning from past mistakes that you’ve observed? Are you helping your kids with learning from your past mistakes?
3. Genesis 26:34 – 27:46 Rebekah and Jacob scheme to gain the blessing of Isaac for Jacob and not Esau.
Application: How do you see God’s plans unfolding in your life despite our efforts to help God?
4. Genesis 28:1 – 9 Jacob flees to Laban’s family in search of a wife and Esau takes another wife.
Application: Are you prepared to flee in order to further the cause of Christ?
(Summarizing the Divisions into one sentence – ten words or less):
Isaac sins, Rebekah schemes, Jacob follows, Esau loses. What the?
(A main teaching point for the overall study of the passages):
TCTATS: To cause the audience to see that many have acted wrong under the idea of being useful in promoting the cause of Christ, but we must not think we need to act wrongly to further the plans of God for our lives.