(In your own words, summarize passages into sentences. Goal of 12 – 15 sentences)
1 Peter 1
1. v1 - 4 Peter writes and greets the Asian churches extolling them of God’s greatness to those obedient to Christ who in His mercy has given us new birth and hope of eternal inheritance.
2. v5 – 7 Our heavenly inheritance awaits us by God’s power and supports us through the trials of life, proving our faith to be greater than gold which perishes.
3. v8 – 9 By faith we love Christ and are filled with joy, even though we have not seen him, and will receive salvation as an end result.
4. v10 - 11 The prophets who told of the grace to come searched to find the timing of the Holy Spirit’s prediction of the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that followed.
5. v12 The prophets were not serving themselves but serve you by preaching the Gospel message.
6. v13 - 16 Set your minds on the hope of Christ and knowing better now that you have Christ in your life, do not be conformed and be tempted by evil desires of your old life for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
7. v17 - 19 Live life as foreigners with reverent fear of a loving God, and not be tempted of this world, but live as a redeemed people, by the precious blood of Christ.
8. v20 – 25 Through Christ we believe in God, who raised him from the dead and has been revealed in these last times and is to be glorified so that our faith and hope will be in God, so purify yourselves by obeying the truth having been born again, and love one another from the heart.
1 Peter 2
9. v1 – 3 Rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind and like newborns crave the spiritual milk and taste and see that the Lord is good.
10. v4 - 6 We are like living stones being built into a spiritual house and are to be a holy priesthood offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus who is the basis of our faith.
11. v7 - 8 To believers the stone (Jesus) is precious and the cornerstone of our faith who keeps us from stumbling unlike those who disobey the message and do stumble.
12. v9 – 10 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
13. v11 – 12 Abstain from sinful desires and wage war against our earthly desires, living good lives among the pagans of this world so they will see good deeds exemplified.
14. v13 - 15 Submit ourselves for the Lord’s sake to earthly authorities for by doing good we will silence the criticism of foolish people.
15. v16 - 17 Live as free but god fearing and righteous people; even as God’s slaves, showing respect and love believers yet fear God and honor the authorities over you.
16. v18 - 22 As God’s slaves submit yourselves to your masters for it is right to bear up under suffering as they know God, even in receiving unjust punishment suffering in doing good before God.
17. v23 - 25 Remember how Christ suffered bearing our sins and by his wounds we are healed.
(Summarize main groupings of thoughts. Goal of 2, 3 or 4 divisions. ID passages covered)
I. Holy living is expressed in the Gospel message and prophets tell of God’s plan for salvation through Christ.
1 Peter 1:1-12
Application: Who will you tell this week of God’s plan of salvation?
Application: What can you do to live up to the message of the Gospel?
II. Holy living is what Christ would have for believer’s lives.
1 Peter 1:13- 2:10
Application: How will you bring holiness into your everyday life? At work and play?
Application: How does one become holy without becoming “holier than thou” in our attitudes?
III. Holy living is what we are to do, as slaves of God to be living examples to this pagan world.
1 Peter 2:11-25
Application: How will you remember to imitate Jesus this week?
Application: Are you a light to this world, at home, at work, at play and not just at church?
(Summarizing the Divisions into one sentence):
Believers’ Holy Living is central as examples of the Gospel.
(A main teaching point for the overall study of the passages):
To cause the audience to live holy lives as is God’s desire.