(In your own words, summarize passages into sentences. Goal of 12 – 15 sentences)
1. V5- 8 God has made the earth and everything in it subject not to angels but to Man, thru Jesus redemption.
2. V9- We see Jesus who lived as fully human (and so made lower than the angels for a short time), now crowned with glory because he suffered for man by tasting death.
3. V10-11 Christ was made perfect through His suffering by pioneering the salvation for all He created.
4. V12-13 Christ declares to us of God the father and sings praise to God the father, putting His trust in Him even as he recognizes that God gave us to Christ.
5. V14-15 Thru Christ’s sharing in our humanity and His death, he and we can truly relate to each other, now being free from the slavery of sin and death.
6. V16-18 Christ came to help us, Abraham’s descendents, fully man in order to become a merciful and faithful high priest to us, making himself an atonement for our sins because Christ suffered when he was tempted, his is able to help us when we are tempted.
7. V1-4 Fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we call our apostle and high priest and found worthy of honor greater than Moses, and whom we honor as the builder of everything.
8. v5-6 As Moses was the faithful servant in God’s house, Christ is faithful as the Son over God’s house which is we believers who need to hold fast to the hope (Jesus) in which we glory.
9. v7-19 Do not harden your hearts to God’s voice or you may suffer from His anger as the Hebrews suffered for 40 years until an entire generation died.
10. v1-3 God’s promise of rest still exists, so remain vigilant that no one falls short and receives God’s anger.
11. V4-7 Although God’s rest on the 7th day of creations was thousands of years ago, it is still valid for today.
12. V8-11 The rest God gives us is not the rest given Joshua, not the creation rest, nor the rest gained from entering Canaan, but the rest found only in Jesus.
13. V12-13 God’s word is alive and active, sharper than any double edge sword and it penetrates both flesh, bone, soul and spirit revealing everything bare before His eyes to who we will someday give account.
(Summarize main groupings of thoughts. Goal of 2, 3 or 4 divisions. ID passages covered)
I. Recognize that Jesus was both fully God and fully man that He and we might relate one to another.
Hebrews 2:5 – 18
Application: What is keeping you from a relationship with Christ?
Application: Who have you shared your salvation story with this week?
II. Fix your eyes on Jesus, our great high priest, builder of the house and do not harden your hearts to his voice.
Hebrews 3:1 - 19
Application: What is distracting you from a daily conversation with your Lord and Savior Jesus?
Application: Are you working with Jesus to build your house, your marriage, your family?
III. Remember the rest found in Jesus, not just the Sabbath rest.
Hebrews 4:1 - 13
Application: What is keeping you from finding rest in Jesus?
Application: Are you actively seeking Him as your rest? And if not, why not?
(Summarizing the Divisions into one sentence):
Relate to Christ’s humanity, sovereignty and find rest in him. (10 words)
(A main teaching point for the overall study of the passages):
To cause the audience to see that:
Christ, as sovereign creator, came in his humanity for us to relate to and find rest in.